On another more serious note, today I gave a speech in Toastmasters about the reasons I joined Teach for America in 2003 when I graduated from college.
Here are some things to chew on:
- 9-year olds in inner-city schools are already three grade levels behind their peers in high-income schools
- Half of these children will not graduate from high school.
- Those who do graduate will read and do math on the level of eighth graders in high-income communities
- 1 out of 10 will graduate from college
- California builds jail cells based on how many 4th graders cannot read.
Educational inequality affects all of us.